While illustration tends to work upon the clarity of the invention, complex illustrations might create confusion in heads of patent examiners. But you need not worry. What if complex illustrations are the demand of that invention?
Remember the complexity of an illustration lies in its execution!
An illustration might become complex when there are minor details that you need to highlight. In such scenarios, some minor details require more elaborative detailing for a clearer view. A well-executed illustration can become equally eye-appealing as that of a not so complex one.
There are 3 major reasons for rejection of complex illustrations:
- The illustration not complying with the specifications of the invention
- The illustration not expressing the invention properly
- Illustration being too complex not complying with patent illustration rules.
Our aim through this article is to eradicate these probable reasons for rejection for enforceable complex illustrations. Let us learn how we can do this.
Related Article: Patent Paralegal: Duties to Perform
Make complex illustrations your strong point
The complexity of your invention makes complex illustrations inevitable. This, in turn, makes the invention more difficult to cognize. But, this can work in your favor if you follow the below-stated measures which are as per the USPTO requirements.
- Execute drawings in durable, black, dense and dark and uniformly thick and well-defined lines and strokes. The drawings are strictly black and white without coloring.
While executing complex illustrations or the simpler ones always highlight the Cross-sections by oblique hatching which should not impede the clear reading of the reference signs and leading lines.
- Keep the scale of the drawings and the distinctness of their graphical execution in such a way that a photographic reproduction with a linear reduction in size to two-thirds would enable all details without difficulty.
- Every element of the figures is proportionate to the other in the figure. But where you need more clarity such as in complex illustrations, different proportions of the elements give better clarity.
- The minimum height of the numbers and letters is 0.32 cm.
- Although, the same sheet of drawings contains several figures. But, in the case of complex illustrations, you can draw figures on two or more sheets to form a single complete figure. You can assemble these figures without concealing any part of any of the figures appearing on the various sheets.
- Arrange different figures on a sheet or sheets without wasting space, preferably in an upright position, clearly separated. If not arranged in the upright position, then present them in a sideways manner. This means the top of the figures on the left side of the sheet.
- If you denote same features with specific reference signs, you those reference signs for those figures throughout the international application. Also, if there are a large number of reference signs, then attaches a separate sheet listing all reference signs and the features denoted by them.
- File a petition for submitting color drawings or photographs for better clarity of the invention in case of complex illustrations.
Make it a point to always deliver the illustration in theUSPTO prescribed format. In compliance will lead to serious repercussions. While patent drafting and preparing illustrations, focus upon well detailing the illustration and coming up with clearer and enforceable results.
Related Article: Why should you hire a Patent Docketing Specialist ?
Technical tools for creating Complex Illustrations
Along with the skill of a professional patent illustrator a technical tool works as equipment for enhancing the results. Moreover, with these certified tools one can come up with desirable results at a faster rate. This enhances efficiency and result outcome.
- SmartDraw – works with all the operating systems. It can create flowcharts, engineering & CAD diagrams, etc., quickly. Also, it combines automated diagramming with built-in templates. Since it is web-based software it works with any device that has an internet connection.
- CorelDraw – compatible with Windows and Mac. It is a state-of-the-art tool and offers enhanced pen and touch facilities with font management and filtering. Its one-time purchasing cost is $499, or an annual license of $199.
- Adobe Illustrator – is a choice among the industrialists as it offers a vector graphics app. Also, you can bring it into use to create drawings, typography, and illustrations for print, web, video, and mobile. The latest version has a lot of improvements to existing features. As part of Adobe Creative Cloud it is available for $240 with an annual license, of $29.99/month. It is compatible with both Windows and Mac operating systems.
- Inkscape – talking about a tool which is both flexible and powerful. Inkscape offers object creation, object manipulation and fills and stroke features. Also, it offers an impressive array of transformations including moving, scaling and rotating. You can make use of these features both interactively and by entering exact numeric values. It is compatible with Windows, Mac, and Linux.
- FreeCAD – is a 3D modeling tool. You can construct designs, share and amend them, with ease. Moreover, it can handle files in many formats including STEP, IGES, STL, and DAE. Also, this software is highly customizable and supports many CAD formats. It allows you to go back and forth from 2D to 3D structural designs. Compatible with Windows, Mac, and Linux.
But remember to use these tools you need proper skill set and learned abilities, thus only a professional patent illustrator can bring forth the desired results.
Our Approach at Patent Illustration Express-
It indeed is a cumbersome task to execute complex illustrations. Before going further, ask yourself whether you can effectively produce such illustration. In case, if you need professional assistance, we at Patent Illustration Express are at your service. Our technical patent illustrators boast years of experience and expertise in this industry. Also, you can find across the world providing quality services. Preparing precise illustrations is a must for patent grant. Hence, our experts make sure your utility and design patent illustrations are up to the mark. For your clarity, you can find our illustration samples, by making a little inquiry.